Wednesday, August 16, 2017

MOGWAI!




Mogwai has been plagued by inconsistency their entire career.  Even their revered first album MOGWAI YOUNG TEAM  was, for me, littered with mediocre tracks.  Sometimes they seem to have write them on the fly in the studio.  Sometimes they just seem to keep recording while they try to think of something.  Their moments of sheer brilliance are many, but so are their moments of uninspired meh.



The album I listen to the most is HAPPY SONGS FOR HAPPY PEOPLE.  It very rarely kicks into a full-on rock frenzy, but it’s got a nice consistent vibe throughout, where the band sounds like they actually give a crap.  They haven’t been that inspired since, but they’ve come close.   No real moments of shite to speak of, but still patches of filler.  The new one, EVERY COUNTRY’S SUN, is more of the same.  It’s got its kick-ass moments, but it also meanders for stretches of time, like the band is thinking of other things they’d rather do.  Since it’s Mogwai, I cut them lots of slack, but I’d still love to hear them really try for a full album.









No comments: