Monday, January 27, 2020

gauze





says to me says jesus rides again like

we both believe there are lions in the holy land

like we both assume that all

children will grow up



september you see and the hazy light of

10:00 a.m. the screams of birds

and i have given up on prayer have stopped

memorizing the names of saints



wish only that the days were warmer



that i had answers for all of the

obvious questions gathering like dust in the

corners of my living room



and so i believe in the roots of trees in

fingers crawling through the dirt to wrap

around forgotten bones and so i come to you

with a handful of heartfelt lies



i turn away from my mother from my sister

in shame and in blindness



the doors of their houses

stand open against the cold



the mornings here are

nothing like the mornings of my childhood



being afraid of every last

fucking thing should be enough

No comments: