Wednesday, October 16, 2019

gauze




says to me says jesus rides again like
we both believe there are lions in the holy land,
like we both assume that all
children will grow up


september, you see and, the hazy light of
10:00 a.m. the screams of birds
and i have given up on prayer have stopped
memorizing the names of saints


wish only that the days were warmer


that i had answers for all of the
obvious questions gathering like dust in the
corners of my living room


and so i believe in the roots of trees in
fingers crawling through the dirt to wrap
around forgotten bones and so i come to you
with a handful of heartfelt lies


i turn away from my mother from my sister
in shame and in blindness


the doors of their houses
stand open against the cold


the mornings here are
nothing like the mornings of my childhood


being afraid of every last
fucking thing should be enough



No comments: