Sunday, October 27, 2019

I AM THE HANGING MAN; I HANG, I NEVER LAND




Early Swans was a tedious proposition.  Maybe that was the point.  Still, I was a young guy, I wanted something a little more kinetic.  I liked visceral, but I like it to have a little motion, too.  The disco vibe of “A Screw” was awesome, but everything else I glossed over.  Loved their artwork, though.  Owned a (Canadian?) import of HOLY MONEY, the gold embossing was luminous, the stock was incredibly thick and durable, and I loved those band pics.



Probably ended up selling my copy somewhere along the way to pay for a pair of Chelsea boots.



WHITE LIGHT FROM THE MOUTH OF INFINITY was the turning point for me.  Holy shit, what a technicolor album that was!  I’ve been a fan of everything they’ve done since, although that was the pinnacle for awesome album covers.  And it’s still the only CD I ever overpaid for to obtain a used copy, since it was out of print at the time, and my cassette version was nigh on dead.



But, to rush to the end of my formless tale, the new one is (again) amazing.  I like buying directly from Young God, just so Michael Gira scrawls on my CD.  Plus, they had the balls to release some of Lisa Germano’s stuff, and kicks ass nine ways to Sunday.



In any event, do yourself a favor, grab a copy of LEAVING MEANING. 



When have I ever steered you wrong?





No comments: