Tuesday, August 09, 2022

mantra for beaten dogs

 


and this isn’t the news of yr

mother’s death, but

maybe just an early rumor

 

last days of winter or the

first of spring,

frozen clouds in a blue sky, the

inevitability of another new war

in another doomed country

 

couldn’t feel my hands as i

reached into the river, but

i knew they were there

 

knew the children would be

crying when i found them, knew

they’d want reassuring lies, and

if i stared hard enough at the sun

i could almost make myself

believe in a better future

 

if i sat perfectly still in my

father’s house, i could still hear

him tell me what a

disappointment i was

 

can feel what little warmth is

left in this day fade with

the light

 

will laugh at the thought of

outliving every motherfucker

who ever tried to fill my

heart with fear





No comments: