Thursday, October 12, 2017

MAN WOMAN LIFE DEATH INFINITY





 It drives my oldest kid crazy that I don’t keep a constant list of my top ten favorites of everything in my head (or my ALL TIME FAVORITES, for that matter), but the Church are one of my favorite bands -  a lengthy career with a lot of high-quality, varied releases and an excellent lyricist (and twin guitar attack).


 So…………  the new album is kind of disappointing, which bums me out.  Maybe it’s a grower, we’ll see.  The last one (FURTHER/DEEPER) was consistently great and gripping right from the first listen, so maybe that’s part of the problem -  this new one just seems to be float by for most of its length.  Nothing really sticks, and the guitars never really seem to take off.  Additionally, Kilbey’s lyrics are starting to get a little shaky.  He’s got the Sonic Youth problem.  Their hipster boho lyrics worked on earlier stuff like EVOL and DAYDREAM NATION, but really started sounding silly as the band passed their mid-30s.  Well, that and the fact that DAYDREAM NATION was a career musical peak, and then they just ran around in circles for 20 more years while dippy old critics like Christgau raved about their awesomeness.  But he’s always been a bit of a pretentious dipshit. 


 Anyhoo, Kilbey’s lyrics seem to be encountering this age-centric problem, too.   Some of the shit on this new release sounds like either a sad failed attempt to be “cool” and “now”, or else it sounds just plain silly (“For King Knife”, I’m looking at you).


 So, we’ll see.  Like I said, maybe this one will grow on me.  I’ve been saying the same thing about FORGET YOURSELF and UNINVITED, LIKE THE CLOUDS for years now, too, but those had a different configuration – 1/3 greatness, 1/3 decent tunes, 1/3 generic fuller.  After my first 3 or 4 listens, I still haven’t picked out any real high points on this new one.  No real low points, either (beyond some of the lyrics), but I was kind of hoping for more.  Oh well.  I’ll always have GOLD AFTERNOON FIX, I suppose……

No comments: