Monday, September 10, 2018

A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF SOUL-CRUSHING ANGST




I think stamps were 37 cents a pop when I finally switched over to mainly email submissions.  There was no Submittable back then, so no one asked for “submission fees” money.

I could mail out 15-20 submissions a week for less than $7.50 (it’s true – Do the math!  Use your abacus!).  That left me w/ some cash to play with (I had some highly lucrative cooking gigs back in the day – one of my co-workers referred to us as “grill jockeys”, which about sums it up.  Shit pay, but free subs – yum yum!), so I could buy chapbooks by authors that I liked, donate to presses that really seemed to be going the extra mile (out of their own pockets) etc etc.   In short, I could be both a published writer and a patron of the arts.

No one expected to make big bucks (unless they were all lying to me) off of what we were doing.  The writers were happy to get published, the publishers seemed to accept the fact that most of their publishing costs were coming out of their own pockets.  No one EVER said “Hey, I’ve got this ass-kicking new zine I want to put out, but everyone needs to send me $3 with their submissions!”

So what the fuck?

I sifted through the detritus of the internet last week, found 15 likely-looking places to send work to, then got to the “submit your work” part of their Submittable accounts, and found out that 12 of these places charged money for submissions.  A total of $33.  In many instances, a limit of only 3 poems per submission.   

So, no preaching here, I’d just like to take a second to call BULLSHIT.  Feel free to explain to me the logic of these fees (WITHOUT telling me that “someone” has to subsidize the cost of a Submittable account, because that’s another BULLSHIT call).  And then feel free to be ignored.  It’s one of my best things.







No comments: