Wednesday, August 30, 2017

SOMETHING HAPPENED





Heller’s 2nd novel, after CATCH-22, and it’s a stunner.  As good as, and probably better, than 22.  A novel about big-city corporate & suburban home life, keeping up w/ the Smiths & Joneses and getting laid in the late 60s and early 70s of consumerist America, but its basic conceits are all still pretty true today. 




It’s funny, pissed-off, paranoid, neurotic, ugly, sexually insecure, misogynistic, regretful, self-loathing, narcissistic, perceptive, obtuse, bitter, jealous, petty and vicious, frequently all at once.

It’s dense and it’s layered and it’s pretty straightforward.




Bought my beat-up paperback copy for a quarter at a yard sale 25 years ago, I still have it today.  Worth every penny.

For me, Heller seemed to shoot his wad after these first 2 behemoths of awesomeness.  Nothing I read by him after managed to hold my interest.  Oh well.


some excellent reviews and thoughts on the book:







No comments: