Monday, August 07, 2017

A MINOR PET PEEVE





Every now and then, I find an album that I’ve been anticipating for a while, that I can’t wait to hear and be washed over with musical euphoria, and I’ll cue up that first song, and I’ll hit PLAY and…….. the song will be kind of lame.




And I’ll say “Well, that’s okay, they’re just getting the weakest song out of the way first, but NOW we’ll get to the good shit,” and the second song will start up and…… it too will be rather weak.


And by the fourth song or so, I’m totally disillusioned by a band that has had a stellar track records up to that point and is now, for no discernible reason, sucking righteous ass.




R.E.M.’s Out of Time is one of the bigger offenders in this scenario.  Their first 4 albums were flawless.  DOCUMENT was a little prickly and took some getting used to, but I was still pumped for OOT when it finally came out, and MAN did it blow chunks.




I had the same problem with the 2nd Medicine album, too.  Shot Forth Self Living kicked ass, but then came The Buried Life, and GOD was it awful.  Oh well.   Most of the bands that I like that bowed out after 2 or 3 albums never fell victim to this problem, so maybe that’s the secret…..







No comments: