Friday, March 10, 2017

IT WOULD SEEM TO ME I REMEMBER EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING I KNOW



I know The Tragically Hip are a national treasure in Canada, and that's cool.  Personally, I lost interest after Day for NightUp to Here and Road Apples had some fine moments, and then Fully Completely just upped their game 1000fold.  Amazing album.  The ballads are poignant without being cloying, and the rockers have variety.  Some are deeply menacing, some just flat-out kick ass, and most of the ground in between is covered, too.   Downie's lyrics are at their peak here, too.  Poetic, but not pretentious or overly wordy.  This album should've broke them big in America,

Day for Night was a slight dip in quality, but the highlights were still stunners.  "Yawning or Snarling", Grace, Too", "Scared" - some seriously awesome shit.

After this, I'm reminded of a reviewer who called them a "good bar band" - they kind of lost their Hipness.  A lot of the music was faceless, some was over polished, some just felt awkward to me.  They seemed to become a guitar-based sort of muzak. 


Still, Fully Completely, tho - what a fucking ride.....





No comments: